Hurricane Disaster Preparedness
BEFORE A HURRICANE
- Prepare an emergency kit and make a family communications plan. (Click Here)
- Know your surroundings, the elevation level of your property, and whether the land is prone to flood. Also Identify levees and dams that may pose a hazard.
- Learn evacuation routes.
- If in a high-rise building, be prepared to take shelter on or below the 10th floor.
LIVE WEATHER UPDATES HERE
OR CLICK THE LINKS LOCATED IN THE MAP ON THE LEFT FOR LIVE UPDATES
SECURE YOUR PROPERTY
- Cover all of your home’s windows. Permanent storm shutters offer the best protection for windows but 5/8” marine plywood, cut to fit and ready to install will provide protection.
- Install straps to fasten your roof to the framing structure.
- Keep trees and shrubs around your home manicured.
- Clean rain gutters and downspouts of debris.
- Reinforce garage doors to avoid structural damage from wind.
- Plan storage for outdoor furniture, decorations, garbage cans, etc.
- Pre-determine how to secure any boats.
- Install a generator.
- Consider building a safe room.
ADD PERSONALIZED HURRICANE INFO....COASTAL TOWNS, ADD STATS HERE AND NAME YOUR TOWN AND SURROUNDING TOWNS . LOCAL EVACUATION ROUTES, ETC
CLOSURES FOR SCHOOLS & DAYCARES
Other useful links:
Hurricanes cause heavy rains that can cause extensive flood damage in coastal and inland areas. Everyone is at risk and should consider flood insurance protection. Flood insurance is the only way to financially protect your property or business from flood damage. To learn more about your flooding risk and how to protect yourself and your business, visit the Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration (NFIP) Web site, www.floodsmart.gov or call 1-800-427-2419.